7:00am-9:00am: Breakfast at hotel I slept in as late as I could and had quick breakfast at about 8:45am.
Then Jason (New Jersey - Art) and I took off for Kamakura, 32 miles south of Tokyo. Here is what my Frommer's guidebook says about the area:
sides by wooded hills and on the fourth by a sea - a setting that lends a dramatic background to its many temples and shrines."(Side note: Vending machines are everywhere in Japan and sell just about anything. When we arrived in Kamakura, Jason and I each had coffee in a can. This comes out of the machine hot and was remarkaby good. I heard a statistic that there is 1 vending machine for every 22 people in Japan.)
It took us three transfers and about 80 minutes to get there. We got off the train and hopped on another smaller train to go to Hase, a small area just a little bit from Kamakura that includes the Great Buddha and some of the larger shrines. We began by walking around a bit and then found a pizza place for lunch. It was a tiny little place operated by one woman. Jason and I ordered a tomato pizza (that automatically came with bacon) and a mixed pizza (that was tomato, bacon and mushroom). The pizza was great and it was a fun little place to explore.
Next we went to the Great Buddha (Diabutsu in Japanese). "It's
the second largest bonze image in Japan. Cast in 1252, the
Kamakura Buddha was indeed once housed in a temple like the Nara Buddha, but a huge tidal wave destroyed the wooden structure." We got some great shots of people at the various offering areas, walked inside the hollow structure and checked out the area.
We wandered around Hase for a little more. I enjoyed a rice cookie which is dipped in soy sauce and then grilled. It was pretty salty but good. We took the little train back to Kamakura and walked those streets. We found our way to a pretty high-priced boutique type street. There, I browsed a couple really interesting places. One caught my eye because there was an Abercrombie & Fitch display outside. I went in and it was a collection of all the popular teenager brands in the US like A&F, Hollister, etc. An A&F sweatshirt cost $209. I know it's an
expensive store at home too, but these clothes were amazingly overpriced. It must be a status symbol in Japan even moreso than in America. I think I should buy lots of stuff at home and then open a store here.
I also saw a store that was selling all kinds of Americana. There were items that you'd expect to see in a small country shop in the United States, used clothing (slightly less expensive than the other store), license plates, etc. Very interesting indeed.
machine place. These are smoky establishments, with music and lots of light and color. It's a casino without the glitz and glamour of casinos in Atlantic City or Las Vegas. They are everywhere too.
dinner. We looked at the menus and display cases of a number of restaurants nearby the hotel and finally decided to head into one that looked good but had no clear menu for us to identify with. When we got into the tiny place (4-5 tables max), the host (probably owner) told us that they had no English menu. We made a quick decision to use this as an opportunity to experience something brand new and said, no problem. 



No comments:
Post a Comment