Morning: Breakfast at hotel
I accidentally deleted another breakfast picture today. I had a pretty traditional Japanese breakfast though including miso soup and other
items. The amount of sodium in the diet here is significant to make note of. Some of our group members are experiencing swelling in their ankles or fingers as a result. Most of us also feel dehydrated constantly because of this dietary change. The diet is still overwhelmingly healthy even with white rice and sodium because of the amount of fresh seafood that is consume.7:30am: Meet at lobby
7:40am: Depart hotel
8:00am: Visit Yukuhashi City Nakatsu Elementary School
I began the day with mixed feelings about visiting the elementary school. I was looking forward to it, but I thought I'd have trouble communicating because they have not been studying English for long. I also had a sense that I'd gain more from the high school students because that is the level I teach.I couldn't have been more wrong. Today was one of the most inspiring and touching days of my life.
8:10am: Observation of students arriving schoolAll of the students walk to school here. By here, I mean Japan. In Tokyo, many ride the subway as well. There is no such thing as busing.
As the students arrived to school, we were there to greet them. We were instant rock stars. Kids lined up to say "sign, sign" and we'd autograph a piece of paper for them. The youngest ones
would shyly walk over to say "hello" or "good morning" in English. Others would grab an arm and say "sashin," which means photograph. These kids loved having their pictures taken and I've got 100 to prove it.We hadn't even entered the school yet and it was clear that this was going to be an unforgettable day.
8:30am: Introduction of school teachers and staff
Attention - Extreme difference in school culture alert ahead!We entered the staff room for formal welcome speeches and introductions. During these first 10 minutes of school, the students (grades 1-6) made their way to their classrooms, got settled in and became independent study time. With no adult supervision.
This was not simply because their teachers were greeting us. There are numerous periods throughout the school day where
students were on their own in classrooms, on the playground or elsewhere. In fact, I learned that substitute teachers are not hired until a teacher is absent for two weeks. Anything less than that, the students are responsible for themselves. An agenda is on the board and another teacher pops his or her head in from time to time. One of our guides could not remember ever hearing of someone suing a school. It just doesn't happen that way even if a student gets hurt or whatever.From there we entered a gymnasium full of the entire school's population. As we paraded through the sea of students, all seated in neat rows, we were like rock stars waving and smiling and having a great time.
We sat up on stage for welcoming speeches given by their students and our representative. Then each of us introduced ourselves in Japanse. Watashi wa New Jersey no Mingle des. (I am Mingle (family name is most important here) from New Jersey. Students led the entire program
from beginning to end and spoke wonderfully in front a huge crowd. The entire school sang the school song to us, a drum group performed along with pom poms and a band played on instruments that look sort of like recorders but have a keyboard on them too. I have videos of these performances and much more throughout the day, but I'll have to save them for when I get home.
8:50am: Observation of classes
The first class I observed was Physical Education for the sixth graders. This took place on a large dirt "field." I later learned that installing and maintaing grass turf is too costly so school play areas are simply dirt. As the students led group stretch, teachers lined a track around the campus for running, today's activity. The event was sort of like a relay race. There was quite a lot of down time for the students throughout the 45-minute period. Even still, the students had
already walked up to two miles to school so getting physical activity is not really an issue.
The entire school is planning for an annual school festival scheduled to take place next week so the schedule was slightly different than it may have been otherwise. The goal of the festival is to integrate acquired knowledge from across content areas into grade-based presentations and performances.
I observed a fourth grade music class preparing for this festival. The class was divided into music performers and dancers. On the music side, there was handbell piece, poetry, singing, drum playing, mallets, recorders, etc. It was quite impressive. On the dance side, there was also drum playing and some vocalization and the dance was clearly related to martial arts based on the poses and movements of the students. When the class period was over, students reset everything. The mallet players covered the instruments and wheeled them into a storage room for example
The sixth graders recently traveled to the Peace Museum in Hiroshima. During festival free study time, some students sat and listened to an older gentleman tell them about the war. I am not sure if he was a survivor of
Hiroshima or a member of the military. I sat in for a few minutes, but I had no idea what was going on. Other students were working in small groups on large poster projects. One that was most incredible depicted the atomic bomb blast over Hiroshima. Others showed American aircraft clearly labeled B-29 moving over the city. It was somewhat awkward to be looking over their shoulders as they drew Americans killed their countrymen.
The second graders, who turned out to be my absolute favorites of
the day, were working on cooking fig jam. This area of Japan is known for its figs. The students, yes in second grade, did everything from cutting the figs with large butcher knives, to rolling the dough for some kind of pastry served with the jam, to the cooking, the serving of the finished product in the classroom, etc. During some down time, I was in a classroom full of these kids and they were going crazy for my attention. They wanted pictures and more pictures. Then they'd climb on me. One would grab my camera and take my picture with other students. It was wonderful!
12:20pm: Lunch at school
Lunch in the elementary schools and junior high schools is served in the classroom. Some students prepare the classroom while others go to a central location to pick up all the supplies for that day's meal. Then an assembly line serving system is established at the front of the room. Students move the food from the large serving dishes into the individual dishes on trays and so on. Throughout this process, I did not see a teacher.

The kids tried to warn me that the food was "no yummy," but I thought it was great. There was some kind of noodles with a cream-based sauce that included shrimp and vegetables, broccoli and prunes. I did not observe this in my classroom, but the teachers are very strict that all students eat their prunes to the point of going to each desk to ensure that the wrapper is empty.
One boy worked to monopolize my attention during lunch. He took hold of my Japanese phrase book and we worked together to make some sense of one another. My Ipod was really handy though as I was able to show them photos of my students, family, etc. They were impressed by the pocket technology (as junior high students called an Ipodo) and seeing things from America.
Because I was so tall (relative to sixth graders), the boy that set up my desk to eat at kept on looking for bigger an bigger chairs until he finally found one he thought was suitable. He also took my bowl of noodles and went back to the front of the room to fill it to overflowing. As soon as I was done, he was there with another full bowl for me.
When the meal was over, the students went into cleaning mode. This involved separating food waste from packaging byproducts. All leftover bread was saved (for what purpose later I'm not
sure). The milk cartons were flattened for recycling. Everything was returned to a central location.
Once everything was clean and the desk back in order, the teacher dismissed the students to recess.
During lunch, a story was read over the intercom system. Students were free to talk and relax, but there was an underlying educational mission at all times. Even if students were only half-listening, they might gain some vocabulary. Also, the bell system is peaceful chiming. It is almost pleasant to hear the bells ring.
Recess was a highlight of the day. I agreed to play basketball with five boys. We played with a smaller than regulation ball on 8-foot nets. Needless to say, I was a superstar. I had a lot of fun and worked up quite a sweat as today was the warmest day so far and I was wearing a suit. Eventually a group of students gathered near the basket to chant "Dunk, dunk." They were amazed each time I did even though anyone could have dunked there because of the height. No matter, I had a great time anyway.
After lunch, every student takes part in cleaning the school top to bottom. There are no, I repeat no, janitors in Japanese schools. Students sweep the floors, stairs, entryway, rake the dirty field, pick dirt out of every shoe stored at the entrance to the school, and on and on. This is partially break time for the teachers so all of this cleaning is done independently.
from beginning to end and spoke wonderfully in front a huge crowd. The entire school sang the school song to us, a drum group performed along with pom poms and a band played on instruments that look sort of like recorders but have a keyboard on them too. I have videos of these performances and much more throughout the day, but I'll have to save them for when I get home.8:50am: Observation of classes
The first class I observed was Physical Education for the sixth graders. This took place on a large dirt "field." I later learned that installing and maintaing grass turf is too costly so school play areas are simply dirt. As the students led group stretch, teachers lined a track around the campus for running, today's activity. The event was sort of like a relay race. There was quite a lot of down time for the students throughout the 45-minute period. Even still, the students had
already walked up to two miles to school so getting physical activity is not really an issue.The entire school is planning for an annual school festival scheduled to take place next week so the schedule was slightly different than it may have been otherwise. The goal of the festival is to integrate acquired knowledge from across content areas into grade-based presentations and performances.
I observed a fourth grade music class preparing for this festival. The class was divided into music performers and dancers. On the music side, there was handbell piece, poetry, singing, drum playing, mallets, recorders, etc. It was quite impressive. On the dance side, there was also drum playing and some vocalization and the dance was clearly related to martial arts based on the poses and movements of the students. When the class period was over, students reset everything. The mallet players covered the instruments and wheeled them into a storage room for exampleThe sixth graders recently traveled to the Peace Museum in Hiroshima. During festival free study time, some students sat and listened to an older gentleman tell them about the war. I am not sure if he was a survivor of
Hiroshima or a member of the military. I sat in for a few minutes, but I had no idea what was going on. Other students were working in small groups on large poster projects. One that was most incredible depicted the atomic bomb blast over Hiroshima. Others showed American aircraft clearly labeled B-29 moving over the city. It was somewhat awkward to be looking over their shoulders as they drew Americans killed their countrymen.The second graders, who turned out to be my absolute favorites of
the day, were working on cooking fig jam. This area of Japan is known for its figs. The students, yes in second grade, did everything from cutting the figs with large butcher knives, to rolling the dough for some kind of pastry served with the jam, to the cooking, the serving of the finished product in the classroom, etc. During some down time, I was in a classroom full of these kids and they were going crazy for my attention. They wanted pictures and more pictures. Then they'd climb on me. One would grab my camera and take my picture with other students. It was wonderful!
12:20pm: Lunch at schoolLunch in the elementary schools and junior high schools is served in the classroom. Some students prepare the classroom while others go to a central location to pick up all the supplies for that day's meal. Then an assembly line serving system is established at the front of the room. Students move the food from the large serving dishes into the individual dishes on trays and so on. Throughout this process, I did not see a teacher.

The kids tried to warn me that the food was "no yummy," but I thought it was great. There was some kind of noodles with a cream-based sauce that included shrimp and vegetables, broccoli and prunes. I did not observe this in my classroom, but the teachers are very strict that all students eat their prunes to the point of going to each desk to ensure that the wrapper is empty.
One boy worked to monopolize my attention during lunch. He took hold of my Japanese phrase book and we worked together to make some sense of one another. My Ipod was really handy though as I was able to show them photos of my students, family, etc. They were impressed by the pocket technology (as junior high students called an Ipodo) and seeing things from America.
Because I was so tall (relative to sixth graders), the boy that set up my desk to eat at kept on looking for bigger an bigger chairs until he finally found one he thought was suitable. He also took my bowl of noodles and went back to the front of the room to fill it to overflowing. As soon as I was done, he was there with another full bowl for me.
When the meal was over, the students went into cleaning mode. This involved separating food waste from packaging byproducts. All leftover bread was saved (for what purpose later I'm not
sure). The milk cartons were flattened for recycling. Everything was returned to a central location.Once everything was clean and the desk back in order, the teacher dismissed the students to recess.
During lunch, a story was read over the intercom system. Students were free to talk and relax, but there was an underlying educational mission at all times. Even if students were only half-listening, they might gain some vocabulary. Also, the bell system is peaceful chiming. It is almost pleasant to hear the bells ring.
Recess was a highlight of the day. I agreed to play basketball with five boys. We played with a smaller than regulation ball on 8-foot nets. Needless to say, I was a superstar. I had a lot of fun and worked up quite a sweat as today was the warmest day so far and I was wearing a suit. Eventually a group of students gathered near the basket to chant "Dunk, dunk." They were amazed each time I did even though anyone could have dunked there because of the height. No matter, I had a great time anyway.
After lunch, every student takes part in cleaning the school top to bottom. There are no, I repeat no, janitors in Japanese schools. Students sweep the floors, stairs, entryway, rake the dirty field, pick dirt out of every shoe stored at the entrance to the school, and on and on. This is partially break time for the teachers so all of this cleaning is done independently.Don't think that these students are amazingly well behaved however. I found a kid climbing in and out of a window. He actually grabbed me to show me how cool it was. I didn't know if I should stop him so I distracted him by taking his picture while we walked away from that window.
2:15pm: Observation of classes
I generally wandered in the afternoon to see more classes. I worked more towards the younger kids because they were most enthusiastic to say hello (pronounced "hallow") or "my name is ____," which must have been taught very recently to the youngest students.4:00pm: Discussion with teachers
An interesting requirement in the Japanese school system is the rotation of teachers. Teachers stay in a school only for six years. Then they are reassigned to another position in the district. Administrators are rotated even more frequently. It is always within commuting distance so changing homes is not an issue.
The reason for this is to constantly force teachers to reevaluate their methods and approaches to teaching. By changing their surroundings, students and colleagues, teachers cannot become complacent in their professional development. Lessons stay fresh and teachers stay engaged.
I realize this would be nearly impossible to implement in most American school districts, but I think it's a great idea. There are countless veteran teachers that coast through day after day using leftover lesson plans from twenty years ago and that doesn't do anybody any good. This system really makes teaching the focus all the time.
Another unusual thing about today. Nearby there is an air force base so there were fighter jets taking off and flying directly over the school non-stop all day long. As they are preparing for an air show this weekend, it was even more noisy than usual. The students didn't seem fazed at all so it must be a regular occurrence. I asked our guides if it was an American base because Japan's constitution does not allow for offensive forces. While it is part of the Japanese self defense force, the United States is attempting to get its own base there too (this is the closest part of Japan to North Korea and China). The local people are protesting because of the noise, but I imagine having the American military stationed nearby isn't on their list of priorities either.
4:40pm: Leave elementary school
A group of girls hovered around the room we were using as our meeting room. I didn't recognize them or pay them any attention and they aren't allowed in the room we were in so I thought nothing of it. When I left the room, they came up to me and presented me with three folded cranes (symbol of peace) and an amazing drawing of me with them and Japanese and American flags. It was a touching moment and a momento I'll treasure from this experience.
5:00pm: Return to hotel
Evening: Dinner on your own
After an all too brief respite, it was time to hit the town. I went out with Roger (Florida - Music), Karen (Pennsylvania - 8th Grade English) and Rachel ( Texas - Reading Specialist). We wandered looking for a good looking place for dinner. Eventually we found a restaurant that turned out to be spectacular.
We spent a lot of time there and had amazing food. I ordered a picture that turned out to be chicken with rice and vegetables along with the required miso soup and pickled radishes (which are much better than they sound).
From there we got some great photos of us near the entrances of the establishments of ill repute. I assure you we did not enter any of these places; we simply took advantage of the photo op.
We wound up at Take 5, a bar that plays jazz music. The bartender was really friendly and spoke enough English that we were able to communicate fairly well. Already there were Chuck (Virginia, Media Specialist) and Kevin (Alaska, Art) so we hung out with them for awhile until they headed back to the hotel.
Eventually the long, emotionally draining day took its toll and we made it back to the hotel ourselves.
4:40pm: Leave elementary school
A group of girls hovered around the room we were using as our meeting room. I didn't recognize them or pay them any attention and they aren't allowed in the room we were in so I thought nothing of it. When I left the room, they came up to me and presented me with three folded cranes (symbol of peace) and an amazing drawing of me with them and Japanese and American flags. It was a touching moment and a momento I'll treasure from this experience.
5:00pm: Return to hotelEvening: Dinner on your own
After an all too brief respite, it was time to hit the town. I went out with Roger (Florida - Music), Karen (Pennsylvania - 8th Grade English) and Rachel ( Texas - Reading Specialist). We wandered looking for a good looking place for dinner. Eventually we found a restaurant that turned out to be spectacular.
We spent a lot of time there and had amazing food. I ordered a picture that turned out to be chicken with rice and vegetables along with the required miso soup and pickled radishes (which are much better than they sound).From there we got some great photos of us near the entrances of the establishments of ill repute. I assure you we did not enter any of these places; we simply took advantage of the photo op.
We wound up at Take 5, a bar that plays jazz music. The bartender was really friendly and spoke enough English that we were able to communicate fairly well. Already there were Chuck (Virginia, Media Specialist) and Kevin (Alaska, Art) so we hung out with them for awhile until they headed back to the hotel.Eventually the long, emotionally draining day took its toll and we made it back to the hotel ourselves.

No comments:
Post a Comment